Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Book Of Awesome

My 6th Mother's day.

Watching the sun rise from the quiet haven of my home.

Early mornings with my boys.

Hot steaming coffee sweetened slightly with Nesquik.

Life's little moments. I love the quiet. I leave the radio off.



Shielding my offspring from the daily barrage of bad news broadcast over the airwaves leaves me somewhat out of the loop on current events. Oil leaking into the Gulf of Mexico and killing all the ocean life? Vaguely familiar. The Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland erupting and causing havoc with air travel? Never heard of it. The ongoing war in Iraq? Are they still fighting? Sandra Bullock adopting a baby. Well, yes, this I've been on top of.





I can't hear you! Nana nana na na.

Bad news is in our face all the time. The Greek financial crisis. The US financial crisis. Corporate Crime on the increase. Earthquakes. According to the World Food Program , a child dies from hunger every 6 seconds. If listening to the news on a daily basis doesn't send you down the turnpike of depression, then you, my dear are RESILIENT.


I often question whether we doing our kids a favour by making them believe that everyone in the world has it hunky dory. What do you mean I have to eat all my green beans because people are starving in Africa? I struggle with how much of the world's pain to convey to my kids, to prevent them from becoming ethnocentric, self indulgent, ego-maniacal, parsimonious, selfish, white collar CFO criminals. Rant rant.


Enough of the bad news. The Book of Awesome helps us to remember all of life's precious moments that make us feel warm and fuzzy good. Check out Neil Pasricha's web site for your daily dose. The popularity of this website has resulted in his book. Treat yourself. There is a special tribute to mothers on todays posting.



http://1000awesomethings.com/

1 comment:

  1. I don't bother reading the news either. For me it is lack of time but it is still the same. I figure if it is really important I will hear.

    ReplyDelete